Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 3 ~ Thankful for my Hubby

On the anniversary of the date that I met my husband, I'm thankful for him. 

It was 2000 and I was fresh from a divorce.  When I say fresh, I mean fresh... like 2 days after my divorce was final.  Yep, that's fresh!  It was a Friday night and I was in Cedar Rapids for a birthday party for a friend at Borrowed Buck's Roadhouse.  I was looking good in my bar clothes when I caught a guy looking at me from across all of the pushed together tables.  Very good looking guy in jeans and a white shirt.  I smiled at him and I had butterflies when he returned my smile.  He finally came over and gave me his best pick up line, "So, you race cars?"  

Probably should give a little back story here... I was part of a large group of people who knew each other from a chat room on AOL.  Dan was new to the group, so I didn't know him yet.  My AOL screen name was racingbabe01.  His was HvyPickle... ahem. 

Back to my original story... "So, you race cars?"  I laughed and explained that I was going to race IMCA with my sister-in-law (side note, I'm also thankful I did NOT do that!), but wasn't currently racing.  He asked me to dance and we danced to Brian McKnight's "Back At One".  We danced our first dance at our wedding reception/dance to that song. 

We started officially dating on November 21st.  We just clicked... we both wanted the same things out of life, had many common interests, and most of all, we respected each other.  The only problem was that I lived in West Des Moines and he lived in Cedar Rapids.  It wasn't long into our relationship, we discussed the pros and cons, and we decided that I would quit my job and move in with Dan in Cedar Rapids.

Two years later, we got engaged.  In another year and a half, we were married.  We've been married for 8 years now (together for 12).  We've had more than our fair share of bumps along our journey, but we've grown from each and every one of them.  More than that, Dan makes me a better person ~ he's taught me that no one has the right to use me as a doormat and I must stand up for myself.  He gave me the confidence that I could go to college and be successful.  He's the best father to our girls ~ involved, loving and caring.  I know there is nothing that he wouldn't do for me or our daughters. 

Each and every day, although I may not show it well, I am thankful for him.

Waikiki Beach, 2005 ~ Day 1 of our honeymoon!  Can't wait to go back someday!

Our 1 year anniversary, 2005, Noel Ridge Park ~ he planned a wonderful picnic

Field Museum, 2006, Chicago ~ on recommendation of his dad, we saw the King Tut exhibit.  Very cool!

Marshall Field's, 2009, Chicago ~ this was the last time we were in Chicago, we need to go back!

Our wedding day, 2004 ~ my favorite picture.  There's a 20x40 of this in our living room.

Harley ride, Coralville, 2010 ~ love riding behind him on the bike!

Hawkeye Christmas Party, Davenport, 2011 ~ always have a great time!!




No comments: